pühapäev, 18. mai 2008

An interesting feedback from the US

Got such letter:

Hello,

I am a big fan of both Estonia and Giustino, and that's how I discovered your blog.

I have had an obsession with Estonia for 5 years now, and have used ever spare moment to read up on everything from Estonia's culture and history. I have visited Estonia 6 times and will be arriving again in 2 weeks.

I suppose part of my obsession deals with the similarities between Estonia and my state. We're both about the same size and population, and we both have suffered (and still suffer) from serious corruption in government. However, the difference here is that WE deserve the corruption due to the voters overwhelmingly voting the same crooks into office time after time.

I, like you have spent years complaining about the corruption here, both on my former radio talk show, and now daily on my website. I like you, get hate mail for telling the truth. However, I DO have a fan base that pretty much agrees with what I say.

I have a few friends in Estonia, both Tallinn and Tartu. I have been just about everywhere except Narva, and have decided (against my better judgment) to visit there this trip.

I am not wealthy whatsoever, and must save to make these trips. But it's worth it to me to experience Estonia first hand. I've visited all the "regular places" in Europe but find Estonia calling me back. I think it interesting that you seem to like Texas as much as I like Estonia.

Anyway, a couple of things I found interesting on your blog was the ratings of different hotels. You must be doing VERY well to afford to stay in those places! When I visit Estonia, $70 U.S. is more than I want to spend for a hotel. Like I said... I'm not rich. Since I don't know you, may I ask what you do for a living? I understand you're some sort of journalist?

I will enjoy reading your blog, especially since it's in English.

I will live you with a couple of photo pages that I have that feature Estonia.

Ole tubli!

Jerry

Many here on all 4 pages... http://www.panoramio.com/user/1197403

http://www.mywvhome.com/est1.htm

My first page, before I learned more about Estonia: http://www.mywvhome.com/vacation.html

3 kommentaari:

Inno ütles ...

Irja promised to comment on this but as much as I have experienced those $70 hotels are the worst. Then its better to stay in tent. Much more luxurious and costs almost nothing. I would say so: I am not enough rich to visit cheap hotels. They are like Soviet medicare: it came cheap, but turned out expensive later. Few people returned from hospitals alive, or lets say, well.

Irja ütles ...

Hi Jerry, good to hear from you!
Well, we were not so rich also a while ago but my relatives in the US were. My aunt was a millionaire. She and her husband started small in the 50s but made it big. When they died, in inherited quite a lot.

A lot of that money i invested into my grandfather's house in Tartu where we want to make a small café and a guesthouse and some i left for travelling. I like to travel luxuriously: either camp under the stars which is free, or stay in top notch hotels.

Again, good to hear from you!

Wv Sky ütles ...

Tere!

Thanks irja. I'm really surprised to see my letter posted on the blog. I would like to say this however: I have stayed in very nice hotels in Estonia "relatively" cheap. For instance, one of my favorite hotels is the Tähetorni Hotel, about 10 KL from Old Town. It's in the quiet suburbs and VERY nice. (I have friends who live nearby also). In Tartu there's the Hansa of course. The food is good, and if your rooms next to the courtyard, it's a very acceptable place to stay for the money. However, because I have friends near the newer Raadimõisa hotel, I stay there. What I save at some hotels I can use to pay a little more for others. Besides, I'm never there except for sleeping, so I don't feel the need for excess. Besides, I don't come to Estonia to stay indoors ya know?

By the way, off the subject: I have visited with your government officials a couple of times. I had questions about Estonias current and future economic policies. This information was for my benefit and for my radio show. I used this information as an example of what WE should be doing in my state. Naturally, success doesn't come overnight, and you have a ways to go. But you're on the right track.

Best of luck to you all.
Ole tubli!
Jerry